The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Program Accountant
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The financial management system of the TAAT program must be capable of: Correctly and completely recording all transactions and balances relating to the program;
- Facilitating the preparation of regular, timely and reliable financial statements;
- Safeguarding the program’s assets; and (iv) being subjected to auditing arrangements acceptable to the Bank.
- The Program Financial Management Team shall be responsible for all financial management aspects of the program.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Within the Financial Management team, the Program Accountant shall specifically be responsible for:
- Supporting the Financial Management Specialist (FMS) to maintain a proper system of financial management ensuring availability, accuracy and completeness of all accounting records and documentation and information pertaining to all program transactions at all material times throughout program implementation.
- Drafting the annual program budgets and work plans under the direction of the FMS.
- Drafting the periodic and annual program financial reports, under the direction of the FMS.
- Preparing and following-up timely approval of disbursement requests to AfDB.
- Ensuring that all supporting documents used in request for funds replenishments from the AfDB as well as documents used to make payments for program activities, goods, and services are securely filed and accessible.
- Contributing to the drafting of the program’s Financial Procedures Manual (FPM), and ensuring the FPM is current and updated for changes during implementation.
- Preparing the periodic/monthly Bank Reconciliation statements for all bank Accounts.
- Providing support to Implementing Partners staff, internal auditors, Bank authorized persons including external auditors and Bank staff, and giving them unfettered access to information, records of accounts, documents and any other relevant financial data relating to program implementation.
- Maintaining the program fixed asset register in form and substance acceptable to IITA and the Bank.
- Maintaining custody of petty cash and related documents.
- Carrying out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Project FMS.
MIN REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
Educational Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s or an Advanced degree in finance and/or accounting or its equivalent.
- Possess a professional Accounting and/ or Auditing qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CA or equivalents.
- Have at least 6 years relevant work experience. Prior work with donor funded projects will be a distinct advantage.
- Possess general computer literacy, with practical knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Word & Excel). Knowledge and proficiency of the Oracle accounting software in use by the program would be a distinct advantage.
- Be a good team player, with fluency in English and excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and able to meet strict deadlines.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching their Cover Letter with detailed Curriculum Vitae saved in a single file in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Use link to Apply for this Position
Application Deadline: 15th January, 2018.